The Best Tips for a Small Business Drug Testing Policy
Setting up a business is no child’s play. Managing the business is even a bigger task. Hence, it is important that the business is run and managed by good employees and in return, it is the responsibility of the business to provide a safe working environment for all its employees. This includes keeping away from life-threatening situations, checking for employee harassment, abstaining from partiality, and even keeping the workplace free of drugs.
Here are some great tips that small businesses can adopt with respect to drug testing in their premises.
- Workplace drug testing is not legal everywhere. While some places allow employers to do random checks among their employees to check for the use of drugs, others do not permit such random tests unless there is strong evidence on the use of drugs within the workplace that has resulted in some issue or accident.
- Further, in the event of any accidents or injuries at the workplace, you need to have proper written policies that permit drug testing. However, proper medical care needs to be provided to the injured persons despite doubts that arise out of drug use.
- Additionally, you need to be aware if consuming certain drugs like weed or medical marijuana by the employees who have a valid prescription is acceptable or not. Moreover, the business needs to lay down strict policies stating the actions that will be taken against such employees if found too consume them during work hours or too high to work.
- As an additional step, the business can also direct employees consuming drugs to counseling centers, rehabs or proper treatments to get rid of such habits. For more related information on drug testing and treatments, visit Payspi.
- Lastly, if the business deems the employee unfit, then the only option is to terminate him/her.